To Chennai and back...

The year started with me driving down solo to Chennai to watch the Chennai Open. The only world class ATP tour of India.

Left home around 9ish one cloudy morning and entered Chennai in 4hrs driving at a steady pace of 100kmph. It was a great drive all the way with tolled roads all along , though the toll hits the pocket a bit .It took me another hour just to locate my sister's house thanks to the highly crazy google maps on my phone that I initially tried to use.  One learning never use google maps while driving around in India, just ask the auto drivers or local shopkeepers.


Had picked up a season ticket for the entire week and was all set. My six year old niece Anya, who's also been playing tennis for two years now wanted to come along. I was a little apprehensive whether she will last all through the matches but to my surprise she did and really enjoyed the atmosphere. She did come along on two consecutive days.

 
There were a bunch of players from top 50 and 100 Berdych, Warwinka, Tipsarevic, Gasquet ,Cilic etc. and not to mention our very own Somdev.  There was also the added attraction of watching the Indian Express Leander and Mahesh get back together to play the doubles after nine long years.


 
On the third day , rain stopped play when Warwinka and Haase very battling it out around 11pm. Waited for the rain to stop the courts to be cleaned and dried and watched a class act till 2:30am . For those who think I was a little crazy there were about 200odd tennis fans like me around in the court till that hour.


The tennis that I witnessed for the five days was of top quality . Just an inch separating each point. Super consistent and powerful hitting and serves all through out. The best part was the Indian Express starting their comeback with a win and Warwinka picking up the singles trophy.

After the two finals which went all the way to 3 sets, hit the highway and was in Bangalore in 4hrs ..

Comments

Oreen said…
when did the Chennai open happen, man! I must have been on the road with NO clue about what was happening in this world.

Four hours sounds awesome for 350 kms. In some stretches this time I managed average speeds of 89/90 kmph (140 km in 85 mins, etc.), but it isn't possible throughout India.
Anuradha said…
Yup , I drove down to Chennai twice in the last one month in 4hrs. Great drive with wide open stretches and good music, what else could one ask for ..

Popular posts from this blog

On the Road Again - Around the ruins

Into the Wild

Ekla Chalo Re...