Return to Sender - Letters from Tentland

Yesterday after a longtime I headed to RangaShankara to watch a Dance/Theatre performance called 'Return to Sender-Letters from Tentland' . I love Ranga Shankara's , since it creates an intimate theatre atmosphere and everyone in the 300 odd seats in the audi feel part of the performances. They have a nice little cafe with varied food as well.

This play is one of the most important and well known political plays of contemporary dance/theatre. Its about migrants , who are about 3% of the world population and their struggle . Its about the experiences and struggle of these migrant women in the unwelcome world of settled folks and their alienation being away from their own country.

The play has six Iranian women (all of them Iranian exiles currently staying in Germany) performing surreal modern dances while wearing colourful tents . It's about freedom , its about fear ,its about veiling their desires inside the tents, it's about being different but finally it's about not succumbing to fear and fighting for their freedom.

The hour long unconventional performance with the unusual medium of using dance/music and women veiled inside colourful tents without much dialogues needs to be experienced.

And to end the wonderful evening, as I was on my way out from the Audi, I was a bit surprised when Arundhati Nag spoke to me and asked me about my interpretation of the play and how i felt about it .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Road Again - Around the ruins

Into the Wild

Ekla Chalo Re...