Into the Wild


"Into the Wild. By Jon Krakauer" - This is one of those book's that has had an everlasting impression on me. It was probably about a decade back when I first read it when my mum lent it out from the library. I had never heard or read about Christopher McCandless till then.

It was really difficult to get a copy of the book those days, but my mum did surprise me with a copy of the book in the coming days,something I treasure till this day.

Chris, was an intelligent young man (He graduated in June 1990 from Emory University in Atlanta, where he distinguished himself as a history/anthropology major and was also offered membership in Phi Beta Kappa, but declined it, insisting that titles and honors were of no importance). He was also an accomplished athlete, and a veteran of several solo excursions into wild, inhospitable terrain.After graduating he donated the entire amount of $20,000 in his account , to Oxford Famine Relief Fund. Then, without notifying any friends or family members, he gathered his belongings in a backpack into an old yellow Datsun and headed out into the wild without any plans, relieved to be away from the mundane industrialized world and trying to invent a new life in the wild.

An extremely intense young man, McCandless had been captivated by the writing of Leo Tolstoy, Thoreau etc. some of the authors I admired as well.. Some of the quotes found in his belongings..

"Wilderness appealed to those bored or disgusted with man and his works. It not only offered an escape from society but also was an ideal stage for the romantic individual to excercise the cult that he frequently made of his own soul. The solitude and total freedom of the wilderness created a perfect setting for either a melancholy or exultation - RODERICK NASH"

"I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love. I felt in myself a super abundance of energy which found no outlet in our quiet life - TOLSTOY"

"As to when I shall visit civilization, it will not be soon, I think. I have not tired of the wilderness, rather I enjoy its beauty and the vagrant life I lead, more keenly all the time. I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and the star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and the difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities. Do you blame me then for staying here, where I feel that I belong and am one with the world around me? It is true that I miss intelligent companionship, but there are so few with whom I can share the things that mean so much to me that I have learned to contain myself. It is enough that I am surrounded by beauty....
Even from your scant description, I know that I could not bare the routine and humdrum of the life that you are forced to lead. I don't think I could ever settle down. I have known too much of the depths of life already, and I would prefer anything to an anticlimax-Evert Ruess's last letter to Waldo"

When I heard that Sean Penn ( i admire him as an actor, one of the best ones around) was making a movie based on the book, I was happy in some sense but also a bit apprehensive that his perception or interpretation wouldn't live upto the book.

The movie released this September, haven't heard about its release in India yet. I was able to download the movie this weekend and watch it . To be fair, Sean Penn has done a great job trying to make a film on such a talked about book and portray it in the true spirit. The music is is great as well. I can't wait to get hold of the original DVD of the film.

Don't miss the film and ofcourse if you haven't read the book yet, go grab a copy.

Watch the movie trailer:


Ironically I am still part of the modern working world, haven't yet broken free !!

More links:
Book
Article in the outside
Official Movie Site
Music Review
National Geo. Article

Comments

Unknown said…
hey, this is my bible for life - this one book that i always heard about, the severity of its message - and the extremities of adventures taken up by McCandless, when i read the book - it changed my life, my perspective and my existence today. i wish - each one of my fiend, if not too, read this journey - i am sure they will take some time off and think or it will scare the shit out their sane souls..
Thanx for posting this ANu.
santosh
Oreen said…
some talk abt leaving everything behind, and some do it.

the farthest i have gone is to switch off my cellphone for four days while on a trip...but haven't gone on any indefinite trip ever...

you will probably be able to do it one day...
Anuradha said…
Oreen::i have gone on several unplanned solo trips but never on an indefinite trip with no dates of return , want to head that way sometime soon :)

santosh:yeah the book definitely had an impression on me but yet to find my way out into the clear skies permanently
Subhadip said…
I read the book recently; it's a fascinating read. More than McCandless' story (I thought nothing substantial was added to the original article about him), I really liked the way Krakauer has written about other adventurers and experiences.
Oreen said…
thanks for all the movies... will burn them into one DVD tomorrow...

and thanks for Into the Wild too... ask ur mom not to worry abt you leaving...

give her a hug
Anuradha said…
Oreen:Hey you will need more than a DVD to burn the movies:)

BTW, Did you watch this film? Want the book.

And I believe in destiny and choices we make.. and if I have a very strong urge to get away it will surely happen sometime.. if not in the near future maybe in the coming years... The final quest is to be happy and whatever it takes..
Anonymous said…
Hi, my first time to your blog (came via Dilip's) and I like it!

Have you read Krakauer's "Into Thin Air"? Its an intensely written account of the Everest disaster. Also, his another book "Under the Banner of Heaven" was what Dilip recommended me once and am looking forward to read. I know how captivating his prose is!

I have read only one of his books and intend to read the other two. Currently hooked to Gregory Robert's Shantaram :)
Anuradha said…
Hi Truman( Is it Capote:))

Thanks for stopping by ! The first Krakauer book I read was 'Into thin air" , again thanks to my mum. Haven't read his other books.

Have read Shantaram, Currently reading 'Slowness' - Kundera.

Checked a few posts on your blog, you write well too !
Cheers!
Anonymous said…
Hi Anuradha,

It isn't Capote, it's Burbank ;)

No, but really, its Aditya :)

So you have (already) read "Into Thin Air"! You are only the second person I have met who has read that book!

Oh and thanks for the comment on my blog, I posted a reply :P Many thanks for the compliment :-)

I guess I will link to your blog once I am back in Bangalore..Of course, with your permission!
Anuradha said…
Hi Aditya (Truman) :

Yeah I figured your name from the web URL :)

Yep,not too many people specially the kind we get to meet in our regular jobs read these days :)

Btw, the only 2 people I have met who have read 'into the wild' is my mum and 'santosh' my friend who left a comment here.. Read this boook... Listen to the music , watch the film you will love it !!

Please go ahead and add my blog link if you find it interesting.. Where have you been travelling .Drop me an email if you wish..

Cheers!
Anonymous said…
Just emailed you =)
Anonymous said…
Good Morning!!! anusdigitalworld.blogspot.com is one of the best innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. Keep it that way.
Anonymous said…
The author of anusdigitalworld.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: Everything makes sense to someone Thanks for the info.
Anonymous said…
The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

On the Road Again - Around the ruins

Ekla Chalo Re...