Back to Cycling..



Woke up at 4:45a.m on a perfect Sunday morning and headed(drove down ,didn't have the stamina to cyle it:)) to Tumkur Road , about 30kms from home for participating in my first cylothon race. I hadn't trained at all for this race and hadn't cycled long distances for more than a year but decided to sign up for the long 50kms race in the amauter category.

The weather was just perfect for cycling after heavy showers the previous night and another positive was that the race distance had been reduced to 36kms because of traffic hold up issues.

My aim was not to race but to just complete the distance. In all my previous long distance hauls, some of which were longer, was more at a leisurely pace and didn't really need to think of a completion time but this time around things were a little different ! I kept going at a steady pace and then stopped for a water break at the 18km rounadabout and thats when I felt my right leg cramp as I got back to cycling.Two of us (another colleague from work) had tried to keep similar pace from the race start but with my leg giving up, I didn't want to delay him and asked him to go ahead. The return course was a lot tougher with lot of good inclines and I did see lot of cylists give up and walk !! I tried to keep a constant pace and kept going without thinking of the intermittent cramps and decided to not take any water to risk making matters worse . I did complete the race and over took my cycling partner about 3kms from the race .
Was a good feeling to push oneself a little to complete the race and yeah get a good night's rest later!!

Comments

Oreen said…
ah, my fighter frnd...
glad i didn't even participate :)

i would have managed about 5 kms at the most...
Anuradha said…
a challenge is always welcome:)
Subhadip said…
Nice job! Great to hear you are back at cycling.
Anuradha said…
Thanks :) It feels good to be back to being more active (rather doing something more than tennis) ..

Popular posts from this blog

On the Road Again - Around the ruins

Into the Wild

Ekla Chalo Re...