Strength of a woman

For the past 5 + years everyday come rain,sun,flood my first human interaction of the day is a happy smiling face. I am taking about Gangaamma , the lady who comes to clean my house.

She is one such woman, who seems to be ever smiling whatever she might be going through. She is one of such woman that runs quite a few houses. Belonging to a village in karnataka, she was married off at the age of 12 and had to move to the city 15years back in search of work. In the last so many years she worked as a labourer lifting stones for new constructions and has been working in the same houses as a maid last few years. She has 3 daughters and a husband who hardly works the usual story of the poor. She slogs it out in a bunch of houses to be able to pay for the basic needs and educate her daughters something she never had the opportunity to do. She also takes pride in not having asked her daughters to work so far.

Sometimes when I feel low about so many things in life , I remind myself of the ever smiling face in all the adversities and that gives me strength to not give up and to know I have been fortunate enough to have what I have!!

So far her daughters have excelled in their studies at school , topping every class every passing year. I only wish and hope that in the coming year's the hardwork and dedication of this mother and their daughters turn out to something life changing!!

Comments

Oreen said…
And thankfully there are people like you who stand behind them when they need support... i guess you will always feature in her prayers for taking time out from your busy schedule and collecting money for her daughter's kidney stone removal...

there are people like you too... ppl like you make us proud to be indians...
Anuradha said…
Thanks , there's so much to be done all around and even a small help for the ones who need makes a big difference to them..
Kanchan said…
Hey.....visited your blog after ages today, Gangaamma's daughter needs to go in for an operation? Read Oreen's comment. Does Gangaamma still need funds? Mail me your address and I will ask my folks to send a cheque across on my behalf. Me doing good in Dubai. Trust you are well.
Anuradha said…
hey nope the operation is over last week and was able to get the reqd. amount..Thanks for the help ! Good to hear from you.
Anonymous said…
Hi,

I am Richa from SiliconIndia. I am also an avid blogger for a while now and participating actively in Indian blogosphere. I read your blog posting and found them very interesting and informative. We would love to see a copy of your blogs posted here, whenever you are posting it on blogger.com. Here are some of the benefits of posting your blogs here:

We have a strong community of 500,000 Indian professionals
Best blogs of 2008 to be published in a book "SiliconIndia bLoG PrinT"
Best blog to be printed in SliconIndia & SmartTechie magazines each month
Chance to be featured on homepage everyday


We appreciate your community initiative here and in helping build a more powerful India! Also, if you have any ideas or want to volunteer to help for SiliconIndia, we would be more than excited to get your help. Pls mail me back at richa@siliconindia.com with your suggestions and feedback.

Richa
Blog Editor- SiliconIndia

Popular posts from this blog

On the Road Again - Around the ruins

Into the Wild

Ekla Chalo Re...