Oh what a game!

I hadn't heard much about the young Spaniard or followed his progress till this week when he beat the inform Murray . I packed up from work early on Friday to catch the Semi-Final Clash between Nadal and Verdasco and boy I was in for one of the best matches I have ever watched.
They battled it out for 5hr 14 mins and ran like a mad hatter for every point and not an inch of court was left untouched. I am a big Nadal fan but for this match I was surely supporting the underdog Verdasco. He matched Nadal ball for ball and for every angled shot he had another better one but then I am not sure I will call it lack of experience or some supreme intervention when Verdasco double faulted at match point !!










I don't remember watching any tennis match that was played for 5+ hours with the kind of precision, power and touch . No player faltered, no player had a bad patch even the epic Wimbledon Finals between Federer and Nadal last year seemed so far apart.

Nadal just won the game by winning one extra point (193-192) that says it all ! For me irrespecitive of who picks the title today, Verdasco's game has been a revelation and I doubt the Finals will surpass the epic semi-finals clash or I hope it does for the worthy champion.

Comments

Kanchan said…
Yes, he was impressive and it was a great match.....somehow his losing on a double fault didn't seem fitting for a match like that. I wanted him to win too :)
Anuradha said…
Yup he has the game and the looks :)

Todays final also went the whole way but wasn't the same level of play through out the match and the real winner was the player who deserved it Rafa!!
Kanchan said…
Oh yes, he's got the looks. I hope he comes to the Dubai Championship later this month. I know that Nadal and Federer are playing. My radio station is covering the event and I'm hoping to get some passes.
Anuradha said…
Wow you are a lucky to see the champs play and that too for free :)
Subhadip said…
Yeah ... some great matches...
Rafa is simply playing out-of-this-world standard tennis.
Federer got real emotional after the match. Hope they play the French and Wimbledon finals too.
Anuradha said…
Yup Nadal sure is
Somehow for almost a year now , Fedex seems to have lost the hunger or passion that was visible in his earlier game or maybe its Nadal that's getting to him but then there are other players who have also beaten him as well in recent times.

Popular posts from this blog

On the Road Again - Around the ruins

Into the Wild

Ekla Chalo Re...